Tuesday 22 May 2007

Chicken and Egg

Sooo...currently I live in a little house with a little cat called Andy. Now I really am a cat lover, I enjoy how they are so cuddly and furry, they make you feel wanted, warm and loved. It is for these reasons that me and Matthew thought that it would be a good idea to get 2 little kittens after we get married...aaahhh! The thing is that since I have been living with my snugly cat Andy it has become very apparent that they are also part of the lion family and are little predators...I have been welcomed home with a number of gifts including a bird half dead (which Andy then slaughtered all over our floor whilst I was upstairs...the bird was screaming...gross), several mice both alive and dead, a squirrel which had been split in half, yesterday I came home to a squirrel without a head and today there is a dead squirrel's tail sitting in my back room....eurgh!!!

So...anyway as you can imagine this does not bring warm snugly feelings to my bones but instead queasy, I want to be sick sorts of tendancies. Surely this isn't how cats are meant to make you feel? Well obviously I am not so keen on getting little kittens now as if the murder is bad where I live can you imagine what it will be like at Mashbury....(a picture for those who haven't been there...it is surrounded by fields and an abundance of wildlife)...




...the problem is that Matthew still wants one. I have tried to convince him that I am not sure I could cope with the bloodshed but he assures me that everything will be OK. I have even offered to have chickens instead as a comprise (lovely and practical as well) which he is considering as an options but still wants kittens. Now later on in the year I am to marry this man and many people have told me that marriage is all about giving so what do I do? I thought I should put it out to public opinion...

Kittens or Chickens?

12 comments:

Glyn Harries said...

Kittens Kittens Kittens. When I was living with Andy and V, I discovered that a cat's predatory prowess was an effective method of spider population control (something that Mashbury could well benefit from).

Unknown said...

CHICKENNNNNNNNNNNS...its sooo Matt and Chell to have chickens. You aren't cat people. You are chicken people. And I love you that way. Don't go changing. x

Unknown said...

Hey Chell!
We have a cat but let's be honest, if you have forgotten to get a joint for sunday lunch and hungry friends pop round you have always got an option with the Chickens!

yojot said...

Chickens for sure. The things is, you never know with cats. Nice ones are lovely but then you might end up with the vicious ones that take a swipe for no reason and they're no fun.
Also, if you get chickens Lucy can show you a trick to get them to sleep. It involves swooshing them and putting their head under their wings.
And another thing, chickens would make far more interesting blog fodder than kittens.

Anonymous said...

Neither....go for little rabbits x

Glyn Harries said...

A rabbit is, without doubt, the worst pet a person can ever have.

They're weird, they poo everywhere and they hate human contact.

I'm sticking with kittens.

Andy said...

It's got to be the kittens. Our one, as Glyn said, is an effective controller of the spider (and all other bugs) population, desperately cute and as mild-mannered as you could possibly hope for.

But we may see a difference in him when we move as our new house backs onto fields while our current one backs onto concrete and more concrete.

That having been said, we also haven't actually seen him since yesterday morning so he could be off on some kind of crazed killing spree...

Matt Leeder said...

Kittens! Woooo! WOOOO! Kittens!

Liz said...

Yey, kittens are great and they last a long time too, we had ours for 14 years. I don't think you could actually make friends with a chicken, but you can with kittens, on their terms of course. However, guinea pigs are cute too, and geckos, but they have to eat creepy crawleys which aren't so nice

Anita said...

I say, from 10 years of marraige experience, don't get anything. Spend the time together, not clearing up another creatures pooh, that will come with kids!!! Just enjoy each other!!!!

Anonymous said...

neither!!!

dave wiggins said...

get a kitten and then kill it and then by sacrificing the kitten you will save a lot of wildlife murder?